Recipe: Chocolate Cake with Mascarpone icing

Happy Friday! Over on my Instagram (@kimkimipie) I posted a picture of this chocolate cake a few days ago so I thought I'd share the recipe with you today.

I followed Mary Berry's recipe, but I didn't fully commit as I altered the icing and filling to a mascarpone one as opposed to the double cream and apricot jam that Mez Bez has used. So I've only jazzed it up a little as I clearly love all the calories, but the sponge is super fudgey and the mascarpone compliments it so well. Oh, and did I mention that it's stupidly easy to make as well?

So, to make the chocolate sponge you will need:






  • 50g cocoa powder
  • 3 free range eggs
  • 6 table spoon boiling water
  • 4 table spoon milk
  • 175 self raising flour
  • 1 tea spoon baking powder
  • 100g soft unsalted butter
  • 300g caster sugar
  • 1 tea spoon vanilla extract
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and grease and line two sandwich tins with baking parchments.
  2. Mix together the cocoa powder and boiling water in a large bowl to make a paste. It took me around 5 minutes to get the consistency to look like this which is what you want: quite solid but still a little gloopy as well.

3.Then start adding the rest of the ingredients into the bowl until well combined. I used a whisk because I'm a lazy little porky.


4. Next, evenly divide the mixture into the two prepared sandwich tins and pop them in the oven and leave for 25-30 minutes. 


Icing and topping


  • 250g mascarpone
  • 50g soft unsalted butter
  • 130g icing sugar
  • 3 table spoon cocoa powder
  • 2 table spoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Your choice of chocolate and sweets for the topping. I used Rolo's and Thornton's vainlla fudge with melted white and milk chocolate to drizzle on top.
Method

While the sponges are cooling, start making the icing by combining all of the ingredients by hand or with a hand held mixer (wink wink).  Then when the sponges are completely cool, you can start spreading the icing on to your hearts content. Delicious!


Ruth x


0 comments:

Post a Comment